John W. Petereit
John W. Petereit is a 17-year litigation and trial lawyer whose thirst for knowledge and challenges has resulted in his representation of plaintiffs and defendants in complex litigation matters spanning many practice areas, including personal injury, toxic tort, products liability, real estate, contract disputes, fraud and fraudulent transfer, business break-ups, trademark and trade secrets. Mr. Petereit is licensed in Texas and California and tries lawsuits in numerous state and federal court jurisdictions, including Texas, California, Massachusetts, Washington, Virginia, Ohio, and New York. He has both first and second chair trial experience in excess of 25 jury trials across the United States.
Mr. Petereit has past service with an law firms serving as national coordinating and trial counsel for major industrial machinery manufacturers, an electrical component manufacturer, and a key supplier of chemical recycling products and services. He has engaged and developed expert strategy and defense in the areas of occupational medicine, industrial hygiene and engineering history and has extensive experience deposing adverse expert witnesses and developing causation and industrial knowledge case theories. Mr. Petereit authors written analysis and delivers presentations and training regarding a variety of litigation topics which face his clients.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Petereit proudly served as a police officer.
- Author, “The Duty Problem with Liability Claims Against One Manufacturer for Failing to Warn About Another Manufacturer’s Product,” HarrisMartin COLUMNS-Asbestos, August 2005
- Co-Author, “Are You Ready to Wear Your Plaintiff Hat? Defendants in New Schemes of Comparative Fault,” For The Defense, July 2005
- Co-author, “Sharing the Pain – How to Distribute Proportionate Responsibility at Trial” – Seminar: Critical Issues in Mass Tort Litigation, April 9, 2003
- Co-author, “Article 21.55: The First Party Claims Statute and Efforts to Make It Something More” – Seminar: 8th Annual Coverage and Bad Faith Update, 2001
- Co-author, “Issues In Defending The Insured” – Seminar: 7th Annual Coverage and Bad Faith Update, 2000
Presentations / Speeches
- Speaker, “Pumps, Valves and Other Equipment Cases,” HarrisMartin’s Asbestos Litigation Conference: Peripheral No More, Part II, March 2, 2007, Beverly Hills, California
- Co-Presenter, “Judging Industrial Hygiene Science – A Daubert Hearing on Dose Reconstruction,” American Industrial Hygiene Association’s 66th Annual Conference and Exposition, May 17, 2006, Chicago, Illinois
- Co-Presenter, “Fear Factor: What to Do If Your Carrier Denies Coverage,” Risk and Insurance Management Society, Inc. (RIMS) 2005 Fall Conference, October 10, 2005, Dallas, Texas
- Speaker, “Where Are We Now? Current Trends in the Asbestos Litigation,” Mealey’s Asbestos Litigation 101 Conference, July 21-22, 2005, New Orleans, Louisiana
Awards and Distinctions
- Named a Rising Star in the Texas Super Lawyer edition of Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazine (2005, 2008)
- Baylor Law Review